2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Lundell Feeling ‘OK,’ Ekblad Status Unknown for Florida Panthers
- Subscribe to FHN+
SUNRISE — The Florida Panthers already lost one big piece of their lineup in their Game 3 loss to the Boston Bruins.
They came dangerously close to losing another one late in the game.
Aaron Ekblad was missing for the entirety of the third period when Charlie McAvoy came flying at Anton Lundell.
McAvoy leaned upward into the hit while skating at him at full speed but Lundell was just able to brace for impact and take the hit to the shoulder.
”It was a clean hit,” Lundell told FHN after the game. “I’m feeling okay”
The Panther bench, including captain Sasha Barkov, went after McAvoy after the hit.
McAvoy was involved in the play that injured Ekblad as well, this time on the receiving end of a hit.
Ekblad was skating into a check on McAvoy when the Boston defenseman was skating backward rapidly in his direction.
The two collided and Ekblad went down holding his head.
He returned for a couple of shifts at the end of the second period but did not return to the game for the third.
Florida coach Paul Maurice did not have an update on Ekblad’s status and said he would be evaluated on Saturday to determine his status for Sunday afternoon’s Game 4.
FLORIDA PANTHERS ON DECK
STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS, ROUND 1
BOSTON BRUINS (ATL1) VS. FLORIDA PANTHERS (WC2)
GAME 3 (Series tied 1-1)
- When: Friday, 7:30 p.m.
- Where: FLA Live Arena, Sunrise
- TV/Streaming: Bally Sports Florida, TNT
- Radio: WPOW 96.5-FM2; WBZT 1230-AM (Palm Beach); WCTH 100.3-FM (Florida Keys); SiriusXM
- Panthers Radio Streaming: SiriusXM 932
- Regular Season Series (Tied 2-2): @Boston 5, Florida 3 (Oct. 17); @Florida 5, Boston 2 (Nov. 23); @Boston 7, Florida 3 (Dec. 19); @Florida 4, Boston 3 OT (Jan. 28)
- Last Season: Boston won 2-1
- All-time Regular Season Series: Boston leads 60-38-6, 6 ties
- Playoff History (Florida leads 1-0): Panthers 4-1, 1996 (first round)
- First Round Schedule — Game 1: @Boston 3, Florida 1; Game 2: Florida 6, @Boston 3; Game 3: Boston 4, @Florida 2; Game 4: at Florida, Sunday, 3:30 (BSF, TNT); Game 5: at Boston, Wednesday, April 26 TBD (BSF, TBA); Game 6*: at Florida, Friday, April 28; Game 7*: at Boston, Sunday, April 30. (*) — If Necessary.
- Subscribe to FHN+
Eckblad is a shadow of himself .I think he is frail and injury prone at this point in his career.Im not talking about his effort and commitment but at this point he is not a top pairing defenceman.
Agreed, he was never great on the defensive side of things, even when healthy his value came on the offensive side of the puck, he was average defensively at best, and his speed allowed him to make up for a lot of his deficiencies on that side of the ice, however with his injury history, that speed is just not there anymore, so those defensive lapses become even more glaring. I will say he’s been more physical this year than I’ve ever seen him before, sometimes to the detriment of the team, as he’s taking a more silly penalties away… Read more »