FHN Today/NHL Links
FHN TODAY: Jakob Chychrun Next to be Dealt Before NHL Trade Deadline?
- Subscribe to FHN+
SUNRISE — The Florida Panthers are probably out of the running for Arizona defenseman Jakob Chychrun as it appears the local kid is about to be part of a blockbuster NHL trade (and will be headed somewhere other than home.)
With the NHL Trade Deadline just a few weeks away, the Coyotes’ put Chychrun — who grew up in Boca Raton — on ice Saturday night against the St. Louis Blues and did not mince words why.
”Coyotes D Jakob Chychrun is a healthy scratch tonight versus the St. Louis Blues due to trade related reasons,” the Coyotes tweeted out.
Chychrun, whose father Jeff is part of the Florida television broadcast team, is said to want to head home and play for the Panthers.
And, the Panthers would love to bring him back.
But that probably is not going to happen.
The Coyotes are asking a ton for the defenseman and for good reason. Chychrun is not only a very good defenseman, but his contract is very reasonable.
Chychrun is signed for the next two seasons at a cap hit of $4.6 million.
Not bad for a player of his caliber.
Arizona is asking for a number of things — as it should — for their star defenseman and the Panthers simply do not have the means to pull off such a deal.
FLORIDA HOCKEY NOW
The Florida Panthers did not get off to a good start — at all — against the Avalanche on Saturday night as they saw their modest three-game winning streak come to a close.
- Sam Bennett saw his two primary linemates either get traded or get hurt during the offseason. His game has evolved, however, and the Panthers are better for it.
- Brandon Montour has turned into one of the top defensemen in the NHL this season as his increased responsibilities with the Panthers has suited him well.
- It was not that long ago that Josh Mahura was on waivers. Friday, he signed a contract extension with the Panthers.
- Sergei Bobrovsky has helped get the Panthers back in the playoff race. Thursday, he celebrated his 350th NHL win.
- Postgame video from Saturday night from Paul Maurice, Sasha Barkov and Bennett is now up on the FHN YouTube Channel.
- Click RIGHT HERE to see everything all in one place and if you hit subscribe (it’s free), you will know when new content comes up.
NATIONAL HOCKEY NOW
Well, if Jakob Chychrun is being traded, the Boston Bruins have to be in the mix, right?
- The Panthers could have used the Boston Bruins to be at their best on Saturday. They were not.
- The Washington Capitals know it is ‘go time’ and were at their best against the Bs.
- Would the San Jose Sharks retain money in an Erik Karlsson deal? Probably going to have to regardless of the team.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins were invited to a special night in Los Angeles and basically crumbled.
- The Montreal Canadiens finally won in those cool Expos-themed jerseys.
- The Calgary Flames went to Buffalo and did the Panthers a solid.
- The Philadelphia Flyers apparently were thinking about the Super Bowl in their loss to the Preds.
- The Detroit Red Wings don’t have to worry about Super Bowl hype in their town and they took care of the Canucks.
PANTHERS ON DECK
FLORIDA PANTHERS AT MINNESOTA WILD
- When: Monday, 8 p.m.
- Where: Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
- TV/Streaming: Bally Sports Florida, ESPN+
- Radio: WPOW 96.5-FM2; WBZT 1230-AM (Palm Beach); WCTH 100.3-FM (Florida Keys); SiriusXM
- Panthers Radio Streaming: SiriusXM 932
- Last season: Florida won 2-0
- This season (Panthers 1-0): Panthers 5, Wild 3 (Jan. 21)
- All-time regular season series: Minnesota leads 18-9-2, 1 tie
- Up Next for the Panthers: Tuesday at St. Louis Blues, 8 p.m.
- Subscribe to FHN+